What are porcelain crowns, and when are they used?
Porcelain crowns are one of several restorations available at Kelley Family Dental Center in Albuquerque, New Mexico. When you talk to our team about restoring teeth, you may be advised to consider crowns as a solution to your dental needs. Let’s look closely at porcelain crowns and how they are used in general, restorative, and cosmetic dentistry.
What is a porcelain crown?
Drs. Jonathan and Gretchen Kelley describe the porcelain crown as a restoration that functions as a “cap” that covers a natural tooth to offer a change in appearance or to strengthen and protect it from damage. When using porcelain materials, you can rest easy knowing that your new restoration will blend in with the smile and appear completely natural, thanks to the mimicking appearance of porcelain with tooth enamel. Our porcelain crowns at Kelley Family Dental Center are entirely customized for patients to ensure they are the proper shape, size, and color to integrate nicely into your smile!
When are porcelain crowns recommended?
There are several dental situations in which our team may recommend porcelain crowns for you. Below are some of the cases where dental crowns, or “tooth caps,” may be beneficial:
- Restoring a cracked or broken tooth
- Replacing a large filling that is no longer sufficient and may cause further damage to the tooth
- To cover and protect a dental implant
- To strengthen a weak tooth
- To support a dental bridge
- Enhancing the esthetics of your smile by masking misshapen, stained, or discolored teeth
- To complete a root canal treatment by protecting the tooth from fracture
- To prevent further damage to a tooth that has already been treated using root canal therapy
These are just some of the reasons why our team at Kelley Family Dental Center may recommend porcelain crowns for you, and when you consult with Drs. Jonathan and Gretchen Kelley, about your dental needs, you can find out if dental crowns are right for your unique situation!
Call Kelley Family Dental Center of Albuquerque, NM, today to request an appointment!
Our facility is located at 4801 Montano Road NW, A3, and is open to new and returning patients in and around the communities of Los Lunes, Ventana Ranch, Rio Rancho, and Taylor Ranch. Call 505-898-4504 to connect with us and schedule your visit at our state-of-the-art dental facility in the Albuquerque area.